Monday, May 27, 2013

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

This is my favorite recipe from Dinners Ready or Dream Dinners or whatever place it was I got this recipe.  I thought it was Dinners Ready.  My recipe says Dream Dinners.  Who knows.  But this actually seems to work better once it's frozen.  I usually make two pans- one to bake right then and one to freeze for later.  The same-day pan often seems soupy- I don't know why freezing and thawing it would make a difference but it seems to. 

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas:
16 oz cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp cumin
4 oz diced onion
2oz diced green chilies
1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
8-16 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
8-16 oz enchilada sauce
8 tortillas

Mix soup, sour cream, and cumin in a large bowl.  Spread a thin layer over bottom of a 9x13 baking pan; set aside.  Mix 3/4 of the soup/cream sauce with onions, chilies, chicken, and 6-8 oz cheese.  Fill tortillas and place in pan seam side down.  Spread remaining soup/cream sauce over tortillas.  Drizzle enchilada sauce over tortillas, top with shredded cheese.  Cover with foil and freeze.

To bake: Thaw enchiladas.  Preheat oven to 350.  With foil still in place, bake for 25 minutes.  Remove cover and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

This is one dish that I never make according to the recipe. I don't add the onion or chilies because, ya know, I'm weird and I have texture issues. I use way more cheese and enchilada sauce than called for; I use less than a pound of chicken; I don't spread the mixture in the pan or on the enchiladas. Basically, you can do just about whatever you want because it's tough to screw this one up!

No comments: