Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Some years Mother's Day is hard. 

Some years I don't even remember to think about mom.

This year was one that I didn't think about her.  I had enough going on lately, and I was more concerned with making sure everyone knew I did NOT want 10,000 calories worth of chocolate or $20 worth of cards for Mother's Day. 

Handmade cards, with gift certificates for bouquets of flowers.  That's what I wanted.  And the pedicure that Amy had already planned for us:)

That's pretty much what they gave me, as instructed.  Joel got a bit creative and gave me a gift certificate for a head rub.  It sounds lovely, except that I know how his head rubs work.  He'll give you about 15 seconds of attention, and then you're outta luck.

But I like the way he thinks.  In a few years, that gift certificate will be a winner.

We were at lunch, and I was fine.  Still hadn't thought about mom.

Until the family at the table next to us walked in.

The elderly female who was obviously the matriarch of the family walked through my line of sight, with her lovely pink corsage pinned to her chest.

And I lost it.

I remembered how every year mom made sure to order a corsage for Oma.  I don't know why that was the one silly thing that did it, but it was.

Of course, I couldn't have picked a moment when everyone else was up getting food to get all emotional.  Or even the 15 minutes when it was just us and McKenna there; I had to wait until everyone was sitting down eating. 

And my sweet dollies were so concerned that I was crying, they made it worse by coming over to ask if I was ok.

Why does someone crying seem to draw all eyes?  Since I do so enjoy being the center of attention...

So stupid, how the sight of a corsage can bring on the cascade of tears so quickly.

No comments: