Thursday, June 21, 2012

I took the kiddos to the dentist today.  While I was waiting for them to be called back, there were two teenage boys sitting in the waiting room.  I knew both of them but didn't say anything to either; I didn't figure they'd care to tell me all about their lives when they're not in a captive situation.  But then one of their moms came in and recognized me.  She said she missed seeing me last time she was in and asked if we were done with school- they homeschool too and she knew I didn't follow the public school schedule.  Then another patient came in and said hi to me- this patient was a puzzle to me at first, but finally I got her to where she'd talk pretty easily.

I went back with the kids to make sure they were all settled and behaving, and then I went back to the waiting room.  The homeschooling mom was still out there, and after a few minutes she asked if I was still working there.  I said I was just filling in some, and she said, "well, I hope you're filling in the next time I'm here".  I've had several other people say similar things on the days that I have been there. 

My goal in life is not to make a bunch of random people like me, but it's nice to know that, as unfriendly as I really am, I must do a pretty decent job of faking it.  Dr. Todd told me once that I was better with patients than I even knew- and I know I'm really good with them.  I think that might be something he was right about.

No comments: