Sunday, January 20, 2013

Church Hunting attempt #1

So here are my "desires" for a church: 
-Large: I don't want to go to the Crystal Cathedral, but I also don't want to go to Pasadena Park Naz. 
-Good music: self-explanatory
-Correct theology:  I don't want to sit through the service not paying attention to a word the pastor says because I'm too busy trying to decide if what he said in the opening sentence is biblical
-Good kids' program: I'm not fighting with 'em on Sunday morning just to get them out of bed and ready to go.  They're in a bad mood, I'm in a bad mood; not the atmosphere I want before church. 
-Close proximity: if we're going to be involved, closer is obviously easier
- Pastor that I enjoy listening to and learn from: we went to a church when we were here before that I really liked, but the pastor was mon.o.tone.  I fell asleep EVERY week.  And I really didn't want to- I thought his sermons were ok, but the delivery was awful.  It met every other requirement though, so we stuck it out for a few months but finally, neither of us could take it anymore:(

As I read this list, I realize how amazingly blessed I was to have found FBC.  And I had no idea at the time what I had.

We decided we needed to try the church Amy and Andre go to.  It's not in Byron, but it's the closest large church, so it was first on the list.  They had told us it was pretty charismatic, but I can deal with some raised hands.

It's large; the music was pretty good although I'd never heard a single song we sang; we got hung up on the theology before the first prayer.  They had all the pastors come up front and anyone who needed healing could come up and have hands laid on them.  I'm ok with women pastors in certain situations, but I needed to research to see if that was alright.  So then I spent the next ten minutes digging in my concordance instead of paying attention.

Problem #2: opening prayer.  Youth/Associate/New Young Pastor comes up to pray.  I understand being moved to where you can't speak, but this was 'can't string together two coherent words without sighing or saying um'.

I knew right then we weren't going to be back.

David decided it wasn't for him when Mrs. Black Southern Baptist had to yell her amen or preach it or numerous other phrases that didn't even make sense after every sentence that pastor said.  Not joking.  EVERY thing he said got a comment.

Then Daniel got kicked out of the nursery because he hit the ONE other child in there when they fought over a toy.  Miss Nursery Worker obviously didn't have kids.  They're two; they hit or scream or throw things when they're mad.  Separate them and move on.  Nope.  We can't have that type of behaviour; you'll have to take him out.

Oh well.  I got to leave 20 minutes early so I didn't have to listen to BSBL (that's black southern baptist lady).

Churchwewon'tbeattending#1

No comments: