Thursday, February 02, 2012

Validation

Dr. Jan is not a friendly person. She's a nice person, but not friendly. It took about a year before she'd even really talk to me much. The Thursday hygienist has been at our office for two years and is still scared of Jan. But I really like her and we chat most of the days she's there. Not heart-to-heart talks, but fun conversations that she often initiates. She doesn't really have many friends because she's a pretty private person, and I feel sorry for her because her husband is the biggest liability and source of stress in her life. Sound like anyone else we knew?

For a week or two after I told Todd I was going to be leaving, Jan didn't really talk to me. I expected that, I suppose. I knew she wouldn't be happy, if only because it was just one more thing to deal with. Lord knows she has plenty already. But eventually she warmed back up.

Today we were both standing in the hall- she was stretching her arms and I was putting photos in the computer- and she said "I've been meaning to tell you how much I appreciate that you've stuck around and helped out while we look for just the right person, and for helping out with Lori's schedule." That shocked me enough, but she went on to say that she was really happy for me, that it took a lot of courage to make that kind of change, and she hoped I enjoyed being home with the kids.

I don't care much what Todd thinks or if he's ok with my leaving, but I really didn't want to disappoint Jan. It's nice to know that, even if it is disappointing to have to start over, she understands why I'm making this choice and is happy for me.

No comments: