Monday, November 06, 2006

Is it really that hard??

David has a co-worker who kind of talks funny anyway, but she always pronounces Naomi's name "Nigh-omi". I just figured it's cause it's her. But Saturday we took Naomi to get her 3-month pictures, and the photographer said it the same way. I thought David said her name pretty clearly when she asked what her name was, so I couldn't figure out why she was mispronouncing it. Maybe I'm just smarter than most people:) but I think it's pretty easy. "NA-O-MI" Ok, I can see messing up the last syllable, but really, how can 'na' make a long 'i' sound? And I know Naomi isn't a common name, but I would think most people have at least heard it. Naomi Judd, Naomi Campbell, Naomi in the bible; it's not like I named her some made-up name. I had a patient once named Brede. Guess how his parents pronounced it. Brady. Now I can see not getting that one right. But come on, Naomi?!? Can you say, "Hooked on Phonics worked for me".

1 comment:

Mandy said...

That's OK, Grandma calls Chloe Cleo quite often ---- no biggie ---just cute. Maybe it is their accents back there that make it sound funny. If you lived in the south, they would say NY-O-MY. And if you lived in China, they would probably say Xing Yang.